In October of 1935, Pat and Veronica McLean marked the repeal of prohibition by putting down $2,850 to buy a small, neighborhood pub at the corner of Lexington and Grand. They flipped a coin and dubbed it The Lexington.
Pat's brother Frank, presided over the bar. He was later joined by Don Ryan, a personable, young Marine back from the assault on Guadalacanal. In time, 'The Lex' grew to become the unofficial clubhouse for generations of Hill Area residents. It is where Saint Paul mayors Johnny McDonough and Joe Dillon made the decision to throw their hats in the ring.
It's where the legendary post-wake celebrations have concluded in mournful choruses of "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" - after more dignified services at Willwerscheids Funeral Home. Most of all, it's where countless birthdays, weddings and anniversaries have been etched into the memories of Saint Paul families. Today, the pretzels and peanuts of the 30's have given way to our hand-cut steaks, fresh seafood, and our fabled chicken pot pie. Click here to view our full menu offerings. Thankfully, after seventy-six very good years, the warm conversations and comfortable traditions remain the same.
Let us know how we are doing or simply ask us a question.
©Copyright 2013 The Lexington Concrete5 Design and Development by Snap Social Media